One of the age old debates in weddings these days is whether or not to do a “First Look”. I will tell you that 95% of my couples do them and I am a HUGE fan… I know it is traditional to not see each other beforehand but let me tell you all of the reasons why it is a good idea.
1. It allows both your Photographer and Cinematographer to be more creative because they have more time to work with. If they have a few hours before the Ceremony they can really utilize the venue and all of its nooks and crannies to get great shots and great video. It allows us both to be much more creative with our shots yielding you much better photos and wedding film.
2. If your Photographer and Cinematographer only have after the Ceremony to get photos and video of the couple you can pretty much guarantee a lot of the shots in the same place because they are racing against the sun and won’t have time to move around the property. It also makes the entire photo session a lot more stressful because you know you have limited time and it shows in your photos and wedding film.
3. If you don’t do a First Look you will more than likely miss your Cocktail Hour. Many couples don’t want to miss that because they want to spend as much time as possible with their guests.
4. First Looks end up being some of the best footage from the entire day. Your Photographer sets up a private and intimate moment and we all shoot it from a distance giving you both time to be in the moment. Sometimes that First Look is the only time that you get to be along together that entire day and have a few minutes to talk.
5. First Looks calm nerves. If you are seeing each other for the first time walking down the aisle it is all so overwhelming and you kick in to fight or flight mode and often times don’t even remember the moment. In a First Look all of the jitters and nerves go away. It calms you. I promise that your walk down the aisle will be just as special.
Now with what I have said above take what you like and leave the rest. I am not saying that your photos and wedding film will suck if you don’t do a First Look. What I am saying is that we do this all day every day and multiple times a weekend. This is just what we have found works best for most couples and gets them the best wedding film and photos possible. You are spending ALOT of money on your Photographer and Cinematographer. Give them the best opportunity to be creative and to give you the best shots and memories possible of your wedding day.